Redding – $2.25 MM, Perez – $36 MM, Livan… Priceless!
Oh yeah, give it up for the big guy Livan Hernandez.
We’ll never know if he’s really 34 years old or 38 years old, but as long as he continues to pitch this effectivelly does it really matter?
Livan was in complete control last night, baffling Nationals hitters, keeping them off balance, and saving his best stuff for getting himself out of trouble. It was Starting Pitching 101 and class was definitely in session.
Lets hope that his complete game performance made a strong impresion on the rest of the staff, and that it will spark similar performances from Maine, Pelfrey and even Johan in the coming days. The key is to stop nibbling and attack the zone… pitch to contact and let the defense do their job, especially in the case of Mike Pelfrey who is blessed with that remarkable sink on his fastball.
Livan now sports a 4-1 record this season with a 4.28 ERA that continues to shrink everytime he takes the mound in May. For the month, he is 3-0 with a 2.70 ERA.
His big win sets up what could be a 3-game sweep tonight when Johan Santana takes the mound.
L- Let the hitter know that YOU OWN the inside part of the plate.
I – Induce the groundball whenever you’re in trouble. It’s true what they say, the double play really is my best friend.
V – Vengeance! If they hit one of our guys, knock down one of their guys as soon as you’re back on the mound.
A – Attack the strike zone and conserve your pitches!
N – Never let them see you sweat! Growl when they get a hit and shout Cuban profanities if they homer off of you.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/18/2013
- Cackletta: on The Future Is Here: Six Scoreless In Wheeler’s MLB Debut: He's the Wheel deal.
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Mets Super Tuesday Preview: Harvey and Wheeler Headline Today’s Double-Dip: Leave it up to the bullpen to...
- Chicago Days: on The Future Is Here: Six Scoreless In Wheeler’s MLB Debut: Yes indeed Mr Sid. Wheels looked nervous...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Mets Super Tuesday Preview: Harvey and Wheeler Headline Today’s Double-Dip: SMH@ Atchison....another broke down junk yard purchase...
- El Sid: on The Future Is Here: Six Scoreless In Wheeler’s MLB Debut: Congrats Mr. Wheeler on your first major...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!