Mets Trade For Emil Brown, Is Church On The Way Out?
The more that Omar and Jerry deny that there is a rift between them and Ryan Church, the more apparent it becomes.
The Associated Press is reporting that the Mets have acquired outfielder Emil Brown from the San Diego Padres for a player to be named later.
Brown is 34-years old, and was currently playing for Triple-A Portland. He was hitting .260 with four homeruns and 22 RBI’s in 146 at-bats.
Could this signal another possible move regarding Ryan Church?
Being that Brown essentially replaces Fernando Martinez in Buffalo, does this mean a permanent stay for F-Mart?
Regarding Ryan Church, the hits just keep on coming…
- Yesterday, while a guest on WFAN, Omar Minaya denied that there was any problems between Ryan Church and Jerry Manuel, but he could understand the perception because of how harshly he is treated by Jerry Manuel. Huh? What? Throw that past me again…
- Before being placed on the DL on Monday, Church was reported to be day to day and that he would miss 2-3 games at most. A day later Church was placed on the DL and replaced by Fernando Martinez, the Mets rightfielder of the future, and for now the present.
- Before Church got hurt, his playing time diminished after getting off to a hot start in April. Soon after, his performance suffered dramatically, prompting Jerry Manuel to bat him eight in the lineup for a few games before benching him altogether. This is the same player who a year ago was in the midst of an MVP type season before a concussion wiped out any chance of that.
- Before spring training began, Jerry Manuel went on record saying that the Church we saw last April was not the real Ryan Church, and that the real Church was the player who struggled in August and September.
- After pitchers and catchers reported, Manuel dropped the bombshell that Daniel Murphy would be playing leftfield everyday and that Church would be platooning with Fernando Tatis.
It just seems like it’s one thing after another regarding Church. They can deny it all they want, but clearly Church is on the outs. I don’t have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with how Church has been singled out and mistreated in my opinion.
I just can’t see the Mets pulling any of the above with Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado, David Wright or Jose Reyes.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Wright Here, Wright Now: on Hefner Lasts Just Four Innings In Mets 8-2 Loss To Cubs: Definitely. I've seen Reyes do it many,...
- Ojeda's Perm: on Hefner Lasts Just Four Innings In Mets 8-2 Loss To Cubs: With a tough schedule ahead, tomorrow game...
- Teddy Klein: on Mets Minors Report 5/18: Puello On A Hot Streak, Wheeler Hits DL, Mejia Makes Rehab Start: Unfortunately today Satish, you jinxed Jeff Walters.
- taskmaster4450: on Hefner Lasts Just Four Innings In Mets 8-2 Loss To Cubs: I see Francisco Pena is playing for...
- El Sid: on Hefner Lasts Just Four Innings In Mets 8-2 Loss To Cubs: Harvey will probably drop off a little,...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!