Injury Update: Putz Joins Delgado On Shelf With Bone Spur
According to Adam Rubin of the Daily News, both Carlos Delgado (hip) and J.J. Putz (elbow) have been diagnosed with ailments, but the Mets feel some rest will do the trick and maybe they both can avoid the DL.
J.J. Putz is joining Carlos Delgado on the shelf, at least for a few games.
Putz had an MRI on Wednesday that revealed inflammation in the back of the elbow, which has caused a bone spur, GM Omar Minaya said. Putz took a shot of anti-inflammatory medication, which will cause him to sit for two days at least. Putz has joined the team in San Francisco after being seen by team doctor David Altchek.
“He’s had this spur before, and guys sometimes play with it,” GM Omar Minaya said.
Minaya reiterated that Delgado has an impingement of the right hip, which created a slight tear. Has also has a bone spur in the hip. Minaya said he will wait through the weekend and see how a new therapy works before making a DL decision on Delgado, even though it means the Mets will play shorthanded.
“We’re going to have to wait on this before we make a decision on Carlos Delgado,” Minaya said.
Delgado may still end up going on the DL, but for now the Mets would rather wait and see how things develop. The bad part about that is that it leaves the Mets a man short on the bench.
As for Putz, this may explain the decreased velocity and hopefully when the shot kicks in he’ll be able to contribute again and look more like the reliever we thought we were getting.
Fingers crossed everyone…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Hotstreak: on Featured Post: Could Kemp Be The Finishing Touch To Powerful Mets Lineup?: FYI http://www.thegoodphight.com/2013/12/9/5192574/trade-rumors-phillies-actively-shopping-domonic-brown
- VinfromJersey: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Bien fait... El Sid !
- Hotstreak: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Don't kid yourself Wright and Grandy have...
- Scottydoeskno328: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: The fear I have with this signing...
- VinfromJersey: on MMO Mailbag: Any Chance That Murphy Moves To First Base?: If you like Murphy's production at 1B....you...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!