Here Comes Schneider… There Goes Santos???
According Adam Rubin of the Daily News, Brian Schneider will be activated from the disabled list on Saturday.
So what does that mean for Omir Santos who has suddenly become a fan favorite and has proven to be a valuable asset for the Mets since originally being called up to replace Schneider in the first place?
Does he get sent back down to Triple-A Buffalo or do the Mets elect to keep three catchers which is something they did quite often during the 2008 season?
Those are definitely some tough questions to ask, and we put that question to our readers yesterday in a poll.
Here are those results so far:
The overwhelming majority of those we polled would rather trade or release Brian Schneider rather than bring him back to the team. There’s no chance the Mets would release him, but trading him could be an option if he can prove he’s healthy and that would mean giving him playing time.
Only 15% of those polled believed that Omir Santos should be sent down, with an even smaller percentage opting to keep all three catchers.
It’s no secret that Jerry Manuel loves the versatility that Santos brings to the team, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Ramon Castro is batting .253 with 3 homers and 13 RBI in 79 at-bats.
Omir Santos is batting .268 with 2 homers and 15 RBI in 71 at-bats.
Brian Schneider was batting .121 with 0 homers and 2 RBI in 21 at-bats before getting hurt.
One thing Santos has in his favor has been his surprising defense, arm, and baserunning skills. It could be the thing that spares him a demotion to Triple-A.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- El Sid: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: Let Ike Davis go down to Vegas...
- Joey D.: on Mets Are Ten Games Below .500 – It’s Starting To Feel Like 1978: Hi Metsie, Geez, I thought I had just...
- Matt Balasis: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: The above chart looks at all pitches...
- Paul's Mets: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: Collins doesn't like the kid. He sets...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: He said he wasnt expecting that he...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!