Do The Mets Lack A Killer Instinct?
Omar Minaya spoke with Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports and made some disparaging remarks when talking about the team’s lack of what he calls “an edge”.
“We have good guys, solid professionals. There is a smile on David Wright’s face, a smile on Jose Reyes’s face. But there is not an edge to them. Some people see edge as leadership. Sometimes, you need a little meanness to your game. Some people perceive leadership as meanness.
“I couldn’t tell you that we have that type of guy. We have leaders. But everyone’s perception of leadership is different.”
It’s interesting how he singled out Wright and Reyes while talking about his team’s lack of a killer instinct. A few moments later he threw Carlos Beltran and Carlos Delgado into the mix, saying that they were similar in temperament to Wright and Reyes and didn’t have an edge to them either.
When asked to explain edge, Minaya singled out Phillies second baseman Chase Utley, and said about him, “That guy has an edge to him.”
If Omar really felt that none of his core players have an edge to them, why did he stay on the sidelines when Orlando Hudson, Raul Ibanez and others were available?
The answer is that he thinks he solved that problem with Alex Cora and Gary Sheffield.
“When you add guys like Sheffield, guys like Cora, they give you something different,” Minaya says. “We needed that. I think it will pay off in the end.”
Before the Phillies game, Omar Minaya stepped back from those comments.
“Let’s be clear – we have an edge,” Minaya said. “Our edge is different. Some guys are serious. Some guys are happy. There’s a different form of leadership.”
Sounds like Omar trying to do some damage control. But he can’t hide from his comments now. Much of the Mets fan base already believes the team had no edge anyway.
Let me throw this at our readers…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Jimmy Pernil: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: I will answer why Omar was fired....
- Connor O'Brien: on Mets Minors Report 5/24: Lara Promoted, Mejia Strong In Rehab, Tapia Returns From DL: And don't forget Mike Pelfrey
- Christopher: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: Was this before or after Collins refused...
- Connor O'Brien: on Mets Minors Report 5/24: Lara Promoted, Mejia Strong In Rehab, Tapia Returns From DL: Everybody's different. Some players like Lincecum and...
- Ojeda's Perm: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: "They [fans] don’t play this game. They...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!