David Wright Is A Road Warrior This Season
After David Wright struck out four times on Wednesday night and earned the first Golden Sombrero of his career, I couldn’t help but notice how different he looked from the Wright we saw on the recent West Coast swing.
I decided to check out Baseball Reference and take a look at his home and road splits. The results were somewhat dramatic in several areas.
The comparison gets off to a good start because the sample size in terms of games played and at-bats are virtually the same. However the similarities quickly stop there.
The first thing that stands out to me is his batting average and on-base percentage. Wright performs remarkably better on the road with a whopping 120 point difference. It’s incredible that he is still maintaining over a .400 batting average with over 25% of the season already in the books. And even though he is batting 118 points less at home, a .287 batting average isn’t all that bad.
His strikeout rate is absolutely hideous at home – striking out once every 2.8 at-bats. It could explain why his RBI numbers are half of what he has on the road. On the road, Wright’s strikeout rate is a much improved 4.42.
The difference in his OPS is the most dramatic of all. Wright is over 200 points better on the road, .840 versus 1.057.
David Wright is definitely a road warrior this season.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/19/2013
- Corporal Klegg: on Last Night We Saw A Big Chunk Of “The Plan”: Yep we ruin it because we denounce...
- Dave In Spain: on MMO Book Review: The Happiest Recap by Greg Prince: I haven´t read the book yet, but...
- Vinny B.: on Last Night We Saw A Big Chunk Of “The Plan”: Not true, I have been reading Alex's comments...
- Peter S.: on Mets vs Braves: Young Bats Leadoff, Byrd Hitting Cleanup, Marcum Searching For First Win: Why?
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Last Night We Saw A Big Chunk Of “The Plan”: Im sorry I didnt see the insult...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!