Carlos Delgado Update Is Not Encouraging
David Lennon reports a not so optimistic view on the status of Carlos Delgado and his ailing hip.
Carlos Delgado said he was not ready to play today after taking BP a few moments ago. GM Omar Minaya spoke with the first baseman behind the batting cage and Delgado told him he was “feeling better” but not to the point where he was OK to start today against the Phillies.
Even so, it now appears the Mets are having second thoughts about placing Delgado on the disabled list. Manager Jerry Manuel said it’s more a matter of Delgado “tolerating” the hip condition, which suggests an extended break won’t do him much good. That’s not particularly good news if Delgado will have to cope with the aching hip for the rest of the season.
The only positive I see here is that it may open up a lot more playing time for Fernando Tatis who is quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the team.
However, without Delgado in the lineup the Mets have no real lefthanded thumper in the lineup.
For a team that is struggling to hit homeruns (ranked last in the Major Leagues), it’s a little worrisome that the Mets could lose their only real true lefthanded power bat for one week stretches throughout the season. Carlos Delgado is 35 years old and has been plagued with injuries for the last three seasons.
One option could be the recently acquired Wily Mo Pena who can play first base or outfield, but he is a right handed hitter so it wouldn’t really fill the void.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/18/2013
- Bootyclapthunder: on Harvey Flirts With No-Hitter And Ks 13 As Mets Top Braves 4-3: I would imagine they would Alex, clearly...
- Tommy2cat: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: Good Trade> Okay - for those interested in...
- jdon: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: McHugh stinks. Young stinks. I...
- Sloatsburg Mets Fan: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: Exactly what I was thinking!!!
- Metro12: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: Congrats to Wheeler! Not a bad...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!