Two Very Disturbing Trends
Does four games provide you with enough data to start spotting trends? Probably not, but I’m going to do it anyway.
Here are two very disturbing trends…
Pitchers Not Going Deep
1. Johan Santana - 5.2 innings pitched
2, Mike Pelfrey – 5.0 innings pitched
3. Oliver Perez – 4.1 innings pitched
4. John Maine – 5.0 innings pitched
5. Bullpen – 14.2 innings pitched
Final Analysis – So far Mets pitchers are averaging five innings per start, forcing the bullpen to pitch four innings per game. This must stop if the Mets are going to keep their fancy new bullpen fresh and effective. If it continues expect a repeat of 2008.
Runner Left On Base
Game 1: 12 Left On Base
Game 2 - 7 Left On Base
Game 3 - 5 Left On Base
Game 4: 14 Left On Base
Final Analysis – To begin the season with such an alarming amount of runners left on base is not exactly the fast start and clean slate Jerry Manuel talked about this spring. The clutch hitting and situational hitting has been sparse. The reason everyone wanted Manny Ramirez in the off season was because most fans wanted someone who could pick up the team and carry it to post season on his back. No player on this current team has ever been able to do that for the Mets except for Beltran who has done it once before when he was traded to the Astros. The Mets need that Beltran more than ever this season.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Donal: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: "For the entire history of the game...
- Steve from Norfolk: on Memorable Mets Moments: Benny Agbayani Slams The Cubs: Always likes Benny. I was a big...
- BuffaloMets: on Choo Could Be Impact Outfielder For Mets In 2014, But Would Cost A Pick: I would love to see it it...
- Connor O'Brien: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: what makes the walks meaningless?
- Padilla: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: You know coach when facts don't fit...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!