The Good, The Bad, and The Ollie
It may be far easier to unravel the mysteries of Stonehenge and the Great Pyramid, than it would be to figure out Oliver Perez.
Todays performance by Perez was like a perfect microcosm of his entire career.
He starts out be teasing us with a tantalizing performance in the first two innings that invoked memories of Sandy Koufax, and then in the next two innings he does his best Kei Igawa impression.
How can anyone be so good, and yet so bad?
After the game, Perez gave one of the most idiotic answers I ever heard a pitcher give in assessing his performance.
”All my pitches were working,” Perez said. “They were taking chances.”
What does that mean?
The rest of his teammates and coaches were dumbfounded to say the least.
When asked if he knew what Perez meant by that, catcher Ramon Castro said, “No.”
Pitching coach Dan Warthen? “I don’t understand,” Warthen said.
Perez was charged with eight earned runs in 4.1 innings of work. He now owns a 16.62 ERA after his season debut. He was one run shy of tying his all time worst performance when he allowed nine runs.
We own him for the next three years, so all we can do now is hope and pray that we see more good Ollie than bad Ollie or it may start to get very ugly when he walks from the bullpen to the mound.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/19/2013
- Jason bay: on Atlanta Braves Broadcaster Shows Little Class During Matt Harvey At Bat: Braves announcers were very complimentary of Harvery...
- Ball_Four: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: I think Collins wants to move away...
- Sylow59: on Matt Harvey: The Mets’ Number One Badass: Alpha dog in st Louis was Yadi....
- Vinny B.: on Last Night We Saw A Big Chunk Of “The Plan”: The point I was trying to make...
- Teddy Klein: on Last Night We Saw A Big Chunk Of “The Plan”: Not naming people, but there are some...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!