Sheffield Blasts Number 500
It was perfect timing…
With the Mets down by a run in the seventh inning, Gary Sheffield came in to pinch hit for the pitcher with the score 4-3.
Mitch Stetter was pitching in relief for the Brewers, and after an eight pitch at-bat, he served a 3-2 slider to Sheffield who quickly launched it down the leftfield line and over the wall for his historic 500th homerun.
Play was stopped for about 2 minutes as he was congratulated by his teammates on the field and the crowd gave him a standing ovation, and even had him come back out for a curtain call. He tipped his hat to the crowd that for the moment gave him him his due reward.
The Mets then loaded the bases soon after with only one out and Delgado and Beltran due up. Two broken bats later, the inning was over and the score was still tied.
Interesting facts about Sheffield’s historic shot…
1. He hits his 500th homerun against the Brewers, the team he broke in with as a rookie.
2. It was his first hit a s a Met, and oh what a hit it was.
3. It was the first time anyone in a Mets uniform hit his 500th homerun.
4. He becomes the 25th player in MLB history to reach that milestone.
5. He has now homered for eight different teams in his career.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Metstheory22: on Remembering the Mets’ One-Hit Wonders: Remember a few of these guys. ...
- Jason bay: on Alderson Clarifies Earlier Statement On $85 Million Payroll: The reality is that if the Mets...
- the mad met: on Latest On Trading Ike Davis And First Base Market: I agree trading ike is going to...
- B-Met Fan: on The Mets Should Look To Tighten Up Defense At Shortstop: Dany Muno doesn't have the defensive chops...
- Jeru: on Alderson Reiterates That Tejada May Start At Shortstop Next Season: LMAO @ Tejada being a Pinko Communist
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!