Mets Win Division By Five Games?
Just took a glance at the newly updated PECOTA team standings for the NL East at Baseball Prospectus.
|New York Mets||92||70||824||722||0.266||0.341||0.421|
They also give fair warning to Phillies fans while justifying their choice of the Mets…
As PECOTA sees it, the NL East race should see the twice-brokenhearted Mets christen their new ballpark with a 92-win season and a long-awaited division flag. While they could have done more to patch their rotation and their outfield corners, the bullpen makeover–starring Francisco Rodriguez and J.J. Putz–squarely addresses last year’s biggest flaw, and David Wright, Jose Reyes, and Carlos Beltran forecast as the league’s third-, fourth-, and fifth-most valuable hitters according to WARP.
Last year, they accurately predicted the unexpected success of the Rays and said they would finish over .500 for the first time in franchise history. Maybe these guys know a thing or two about using their system to project these standings.
Winning the division by five games seems like a bit of a stretch though, and I would expect a margin of 3 or less games this season. Of course, that’s just my gut feeling…
How many games do you think the Mets will win the division by?
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Joe D: on Choo Could Be Impact Outfielder For Mets In 2014, But Would Cost A Pick: I love Trumbo, it will take a...
- Coach Mike: on Reds vs Mets: Niese Looks For Another Solid Outing: I just looked at the Indians roster...
- Coach Mike: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: "Because of Murphy’s high on-base percentage, batting...
- Matt Mosher: on Choo Could Be Impact Outfielder For Mets In 2014, But Would Cost A Pick: No, it is not worth it. He's...
- Brittany Ann: on Reds vs Mets: Niese Looks For Another Solid Outing: The starters have been improving. The Mets...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!