Mets Notes: Delgado, Castillo, Santos, Murphy
Carlos Delgado is out of the starting lineup tonight and most likely for the remainder of this series because of right hip soreness. Jerry Manuel expects Delgado to return on return Friday when the Mets go to Philadelphia for a three game series against the Phillies. Delgado had been mire in a terrible slump in the last ten games.
Luis Castillo will also be out of the lineup tonight because of back spasms. He will be replaced by Alex Cora and is expected to return to the starting lineup on Wednesday. Castillo is off to a great start and is the second best hitter on the Mets so far this season.
Catcher Omir Santos, will start for the fourth straight game and is drawing rave reviews from Jerry Manuel and his coaching staff. Santos has developed a good rapport with his pitchers who like the way he frames their pitches and how agile he is behind the plate. The coaches love his work ethic and the way he approaches each at-bat. Manuel is taken by his speed as far as catchers go. All this could spell trouble for Ramon Castro when Brian Schneider is activated from the DL this weekend.
Daniel Murphy will ride the bench for the fourth time in the Mets’ last six games. Jerry Manuel opted for Gary Sheffield’s power especially with Delgado out of the lineup. The Mets won’t say it out loud, but Murphy’s poor defensive play figures into every game-time decision including whether he starts or sits. Speaking of Gary Sheffield, he will be honored before the game for hitting his 500th homer.
These are tonight’s game notes, enjoy the game.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/16/2013
- gorgeguy: on Mets vs Braves: Duda At First, Lagares Leads Off, Turner May Go On DL, Civilization’s Over: Lagares is not a good hitter, let...
- gorgeguy: on Mets vs Braves: Duda At First, Lagares Leads Off, Turner May Go On DL, Civilization’s Over: Why did they even bring him up?...
- El Sid: on MMO Featured Post: On The Cusp Of Respectability, What Should Mets Do Now?: Nice! Metsie supports me over his boy,...
- Joey D.: on Wheeler Says He’s Not A Savior, But Will Try To Help Team Anyway He Can: Notice how last week the Mets were...
- Watchdog: on Are Valdespin’s Days As A Met Numbered?: Thank you for continuing to prove you...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!