Book Review: The Complete Game – Win A Free Copy
Every year more than dozen new baseball books hit the shelf at this time of the year. If you only have time to read one, then let me suggest Ron Darling’s new book entitled “The Complete Game”.
The book is a wonderful look into the life of a major league pitcher. Darling includes his own trials and tribulations as well as his triumphs and accomplishments.
One of the things you’ll notice right away is the way the chapters are laid out over ten innings, nine plus one extra inning! It even has a “pre game” and a “warm up” in place of the introduction. Very clever indeed…
The book is very captivating and not because it is filled with drama, or name calling or finger pointing. You won’t find any tabloid stuff here. What makes the book so enjoyable is it’s simplicity.
It’s so refreshing to read of the real life struggles that Darling faced early on and how he dealt with those adversities. He does an excellent job of drawing us in with that same sincere honesty that makes him so beloved in Mets circles today.
Darling does a great job bring the reader into the psyche of a pitcher in various unique pitching situations throughout his career, but he also delves into some of the concerns of the current Mets as well including Mike Pelfrey, the Willie Randolph years, etc.
It’s a personal journey with many interesting stops along the way, and I love the continuity that is contained within the story-telling.
I consider “The Complete Game” to be essential reading for any Mets fan.
The publisher was kind enough to give me a second copy of “The Complete Game”, so I decided to give the first person to answer the following five questions correctly a free brand new copy of the book.
For those of you not so lucky, have no fear. You can get your own copy at Amazon.com right now.
The Complete Game: Reflections on Baseball, Pitching, and Life on the Mound
1. Darling pitched 10 shutouts for the Mets. In his last one he beat the Dodgers 8-0. What Met homered twice in that game?
2. What former Met hit the first homerun off of Ron Darling?
3. Ron Darling was selected for one All Star game in his career. Who were the winning and losing pitchers in that mid-summer classic?
4. Who were Ron Darling’s first and last strikeout victims?
5. In Ron Darling’s first start as a Met, who was his catcher?
The first one to correctly answer all five questions wins the book. Make sure you have your correct email when commenting so that I can contact you. Good luck!
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/19/2013
- Donal: on Scott Rice Leads The Majors In Appearances: Someone has to tell TC not every...
- Alan from AZ: on Juan Lagares Belts First MLB Homer In Mets 4-3 Comeback Win: Listen up Bad Bad....because all too often...
- Donal: on Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: You don't need to walk a lot...
- Metsie: on Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: As I pointed out to OBP Obsessed...
- Donal: on Mets vs Cubs: Davis Not In Lineup As Gee Looks For A Win In Rubber Match: a good lead off hitter gets over...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!