Livan Hernandez Steps Up
Although Livan Hernandez may have been the last pitcher to join the competition for the fifth starters job, he might have moved one step closer to claiming the job after tossing two no-hit innings against the Nationals on Saturday.
Livan got a leg up on the job after the Mets announced that Tim Redding would start the season on the disabled list with a sore shoulder.
Freddy Garcia has struggled to regain his velocity and his control has been all over the place as he continues to battle for the job while trying to comeback from surgery. Chances are that he could be close to being cut unless there is some drastic improvement.
Only Jon Niese stands in Livan’s way, and most believe that Niese is a lock to start the season in AAA Buffalo. I’m not one of them.
Ideally, I would be happy to see Niese win the job and not just based on his tremendous upside. I want him to wrestle the job away by outmatching his competition this spring and earning his place in the rotation.
Still, there is no disputing the fact the Hernandez took a small step forward yesterday and now it falls on Niese to respond in kind.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- cw: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Allan Dykstra?
- Met Maniac: on Jose Reyes Is Running Again And Making A Rapid Recovery: I miss Andres Torres.
- mailman: on Collins Pulled Hefner Because He Was Excited For Him: At least Hefner didn't have to stand...
- Hawk: on Our Ike Davis May Not Even Be The Best Ike Davis: I heard someone say on the radio...
- mailman: on Collins Pulled Hefner Because He Was Excited For Him: 'Cause Wally has such an impressive record...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!