Cory Sullivan Isn’t Messing Around
Even though he signed a major league contract in January to play with the Mets, he is taking no chances. He’s not walking around with a sense of entitlement believing that he doesn’t have to try hard because he is a lock to make the team.
When the Mets first signed Sullivan I thought it was a very curious move. It was not long after we made the Putz trade that also gave us outfielder Jeremy Reed a similar type left handed batter. However, it wasn’t a huge contract so I figured lets see how it all plays out.
So far, Sullivan has been one of the most productive hitters in camp. We already knew he was a fine defensive centerfielder, but the knock on him has always been his bat.
Sullivan was a career .279 hitter with the Rockies in four seasons.
On Tuesday, Sullivan went 3-4 and has raised his batting average to a sizzling hot .364 to lead the team among all players with 20 AB or more. His on-base percentage is a staggering .462.
Sullivan is too old at 29 to be called a prospect anymore, and his best bet is probably a career as a utility outfielder.
That said, he may find himself getting plenty of playing time as a defensive replacement at the corners, and may even give Carlos Beltran a breather too when needed. I don’t know if there will be room enough on the team for both Sullivan and Jeremy Reed, but from the way things look right now, I’d rather have Sullivan.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Metsie: on Can The Mets Turn This Sinking Ship Around Before It’s Too Late: He had leverage but he didn't really...
- Connor O'Brien: on Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: "I don’t understand your argument because it’s...
- Joe D: on Choo Could Be Impact Outfielder For Mets In 2014, But Would Cost A Pick: Who do you like, Matt?
- Joe D: on Choo Could Be Impact Outfielder For Mets In 2014, But Would Cost A Pick: OMG You just gave me Fernando Tatis...
- Michelle: on Choo Could Be Impact Outfielder For Mets In 2014, But Would Cost A Pick: I think Alderson wants to target guys...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!