Random Mets Thoughts
Okay. I realize the Shea remembrances and tributes have been done to death recently. It had finally come to a head this week with the last remnants of the old girl finally coming down. That being said, I’m going to beat the dead horse a little more.
For 44 years our beloved Mets called Shea Stadium home. It doesn’t really seem like a long time when you think about it. I know to those of us who have been Mets fans for the better part of our lives it seems like yesterday. Whether that conjures up images of Tom Seaver and Buddy Harrelson or Darryl Strawberry and “El Sid”, the images remain as fresh as if they happened yesterday.
The last time I walked into Shea on August 9th, 2008 I can honestly say it was the same as the first time I stepped foot in there 14 years before. It was as if she was ageless…a big blue and orange time machine of sorts. For me, Shea was home to moments of wonder, excitement and even romance. I’m thankful that during the Mets time there we were treated to competitive teams more often than not, and can boast of 4 pennants and 2 World Championships. Personally, it may take me some time to get used to Shea not being there and referring to Citi Field as home. Just as the great Garth Algar once noted when he was asked his opinion of the new “Wayne’s World” set:
“It’s like a new pair of underwear. At first it’s constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you.”
I think Citi Field will be the same way. Sure it isn’t what we’re used to, but we’ll make ourselves at home soon enough. …
Former Mets pitcher Neil Allen will serve as pitching coach for the Montgomery Biscuits franchise here in Alabama, a Tampa Bay Rays Double A affiliate. His most notable career accomplishment as a Met was being traded to the Cardinals for Keith Hernandez. I wonder who got the better end of that deal?
I hope everyone has that “We’re the team to beat” crap out of their systems and concentrates on playing ball now. Verbal urinating contests have become boring. I believe one Sports Illustrated Fan Nation reader said it would be more interesting if Cole Hamels got beaned and Jose Reyes came in from short to do the merengue around his head. Sounds mean, but I don’t think I could look away…
Heres to a great 2009! Let’s Go Mets!
About the Author: Adam Baker
- Padilla: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: If you remember Metsie, they tried that...
- Connor O'Brien: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Not understanding me Vinny. Ther were very...
- Padilla: on Mets Have Opportunity To Soar To New Heights: Ah, take the very very small sample...
- paula: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Mets Need More Time To Get Better...
- The golf pair of running footwear are made to invigorate and christian louboutin sydney consequently whip up the advantages of regarding. louboutin shoes: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready” |...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!