Where Are Our Right-handed Bats?
Don’t look now, but there’s an epidemic shortage of right-handed hitting on the Mets bench.
1B – Carlos Delgado (L)
2B – Luis Castillo (S)
SS – Jose Reyes (S)
3B – David Wright (R)
C – Brian Schneider (L)
LF – Fernando Tatis (R) / Dan Murphy (L)
CF – Carlos Beltran (S)
RF – Ryan Church (L)
IF – Alex Cora (L), Argenis Reyes (S)
OF – Marlon Anderson (L), Cory Sullivan (L), Jeremy Reed (L)
C – Ramon Castro (R)
It’s mid September, and the Mets are in the fight of their life for a Wild Card spot. Tatis is already in the game and it’s now the ninth inning, and the Mets have the tying run at second base. Jerry Manuel looks at his bench for someone to pinch hit against a tough southpaw on the mound. Who’s he gonna call?
Why did the Mets sign Cory Sullivan? What’s his purpose? The Mets desperately needed a right handed bat.
The Mets can’t use Ramon Castro to pinch hit because he is the backup catcher… Unless you want to carry Robinson Cancel as a third catcher to free Castro up, and I don’t think anyone wants to go there again. (See 2008 results.)
The Phillies are looking to sign either Moises Alou or Nomar Garciaparra to add some right handed punch to their bench. They will have one of them signed by the end of the weekend.
The Mets in the meantime, seem to be content with their bench, shockingly so…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Neil: on MMO Exclusive: A Look Inside The Mets Dominican Complex: Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose
- Matt Balasis: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: sorry ... wrong poster.
- Matt Balasis: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: Alex, The Rangers and Yankees (among other high...
- TexasGusCC: on If Zack Wheeler Is In, Then Who’s Out?: It should be Marcum. But, who...
- Matt Balasis: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: Major, "trying a 1 size fits all approach"...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!