Does Beltran Have A 30/30 Season In Him?
One of my favorite players on the Mets is without question Carlos Beltran. He has been an absolute stud in centerfield and yet I can’t help feeling the best is yet to come.
In 2006, when he hit 41 homeruns and drove in 116, I thought Beltran was about to enter a huge power spike that would continue for 4-5 years. However, in 2007 and 2008 his slugging percentage went from .594 to .525 to .500.
I think the nagging injuries had a lot to do with it and an off season with no surgeries and plenty of time to relax and get healthy will lead to another power breakout like we saw two seasons ago.
In 2008 his plate discipline and batting average was the highest in five seasons, and he only struck out 4 more times than he drew a walk. I believe most of those 40 doubles will translate into a few more homers as long as his legs and knees are healthy.
Beltran is a warrior, as evidenced by the 161 games he played last season. As he got healthier, he also got stronger. In the last month of the season, Beltran hit .344 with a .440 on-base percentage, and a Ruthian .645 slugging percentage. He also stole more bases in September (6) than any other month of the season.
Last September we watched the Carlos Beltran we saw in 2006, and the centerfielder who wowed us in 2004 when he split his season between Kansas City and Houston.
So does Carlos Beltran have a 30/30 season in him in 2009?
You better believe he does!
All the arrows are pointing in the right direction, and when Beltran is healthy, you can count on an MVP caliber season from the Mets’ Gold Glove centerfielder.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Why did I want to trade Wright???? Because...
- Matt Mosher: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Ok....well, we have the same favorite player. I...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: LMFAO!!! I like Wright a LOT I just...
- taskmaster4450: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Collins had no chance of an extension...
- taskmaster4450: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: You might be able to add Chase...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!