Boys of Summer
I love music. As I’m sure many of you can agree, there are poignant moments in our lives when we can not only remember what was happening, but also be able to put a song to it.
Case in point, 1988 NLCS. Mets vs. Dodgers. The two teams traded punches back and forth until Game 7 when the Orel Hershiser led Dodgers shutout the Mets 6-0 and ended the Mets season. I can remember waking up for school the next day, listening to WSUL and the DJ dedicating Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” to distraught Mets fans.
I can honestly say that today, I’m not as depressed as I was that cold October morning. Though 20+ years later I find myself in a similar spot. Our beloved Mets have had two straight seasons that have ended “badly” to say the least. I can honestly say that I’ve moved on from that and I’m ready for pitchers and catchers to report. I think as a baseball fan in general, moving on prepares us for the hope each Spring Training brings. After all, everyone is undefeated in February.
This winter has been a long one. I miss the smell of fresh cut grass and BBQ hot dogs and burgers and the sound of bats cracking and leather poppin’. The sound of Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer” haunting and teasing me at the same time while it blares from the radio…
“…a voice inside my head said don’t look back, you can never look back.”
How true. The past is just that, PAST.
I’m ready to look toward the future. Spring will soon be here and it will be time for new memories…and new music.
About the Author: Adam Baker
- Biggle Boy: on Words to the Wilpons: We Beg Of You, Sell The Team: I agree. Sterling Equities knows real estate...
- Donal: on Hot Stove: Furcal Signs One Year Deal With Marlins, M’s Offer Cano $240 Million: We're calling "I Am Legend" good?
- Anthony: on Hot Stove: Furcal Signs One Year Deal With Marlins, M’s Offer Cano $240 Million: It may not be nice, but I...
- Santa: on Words to the Wilpons: We Beg Of You, Sell The Team: So spend the 160 million and we...
- TRS86: on Hot Stove: Furcal Signs One Year Deal With Marlins, M’s Offer Cano $240 Million: He was looking for 5-6 years at...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!