John Sickels Releases Mets Top 20 Prospects
Here is the latest entry of the Mets Top Prospects list, this one comes from Minor League guru, John Sickels of Minor League Ball. I find it interesting how the one common factor in all of these lists is that Brad Holt has moved into the top five.
The other thing is how each list flip-flops between Wilmer Flores and Fernando Martinez in the top spot.
I don’t understand why Reese Havens is ranked so high, and Dillon Gee so low. It’s also becoming quite clear that Ike Davis is looking more like a first round flop.
It’s pretty sad though, that yet another prospect list fails to give the Mets any “A” prospects. Of course to the Mets and us fans, they are all untouchable “A” prospects, but the truth is quite the different story.
1) Wilmer Flores, SS-3B, Grade B+: I might take some flack for this, but in this case I think his upside is higher than F-Mart. If I could have just one of them, I’d pick
2) Fernando Martinez, OF, Grade B+: Still extremely young, though at some point he’s got to produce better than he has. You can flip him with
3) Jon Niese, LHP, Grade B: I’ve liked him since high school. He’s not an ace but should be a fine inning-eater.
4) Brad Holt, RHP, Grade B: Higher ceiling than Niese, but not as refined and command still needs work.
5) Reese Havens, SS, Grade B: Assuming he’s healthy, I think he’s going to be a strong across-the-board player with a high OBP.
6) Jefry Marte, 3B, Grade C+: Could be a star if it all comes together, but still rather raw. Considering B- but for me that’s aggressive for a rookie ball guy.
7) Jenrry Mejia, RHP, Grade C+ Pitching version of Marte: lots of talent, but skills are in the developmental stages and may not pan out.
8) Bobby Parnell, RHP, Grade C+: Stats don’t match scouting reports, but he has a good sinker and could be an effective setup man.
9) Eddie Kunz, RHP, Grade C+: Another bullpen option who gets ground balls.
10) Nick Evans, 1B, Grade C+: Held his own after being rushed, which you have to respect, but he may just be a good platoon bat, not a regular.
11) Ike Davis, 1B-OF, Grade C+: I will cut him some slack for now. If he can’t hit, he could convert to pitching due to his strong arm.
12) Dillon Gee, RHP, Grade C+: Sleeper prospect has a decent arm, good command, and has risen rapidly in a short period of time. Could be better than many more-heralded guys.
13) Scott Moviel, RHP, Grade C+: Young and projectable, but if they rush him they will be sorry.
14) Scott Shaw, RHP, Grade C+: Sleeper prospect from 2008 draft, has above average stuff and showed better command in the pros than he did at
15) Eric Beaulac, RHP, Grade C+: Another sleeper college arm, this one with a home state connection at LeMoyne.
16) Ruben Tejada, SS, Grade C+: Gets slack on the grade because he was massively rushed to the Florida State League. Controls the strike zone, has promise with the glove, very young.
17) Greg Veloz, 2B, Grade C+: Another young infielder who has been pushed fast but has some upside.
18) Michael Antonini, LHP, Grade C: I cut him at the last second from the 2008 book, though he still showed up on the grade list in the back of the book. Good changeup.
19) Dylan Owen, RHP, Grade C: Polished pitcher with good command, could be swingman.
20) Kyle Allen, RHP, Grade C: Sleeper high school pick from 2008 draft bears close attention.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Verne: on Examining Sandy’s Off-Season Signings… So Far: First of all why you chose to...
- TRS86: on Examining Sandy’s Off-Season Signings… So Far: Texas would give you a big NEAH.
- TexasGusCC: on Examining Sandy’s Off-Season Signings… So Far: Murphy and Montero for Elvis Andrus, yea...
- TRS86: on Home Plate Collisions, May Be A Thing Of The Past: I would imagine it will be similar...
- Jeru: on Home Plate Collisions, May Be A Thing Of The Past: many catchers -- even Ray Fosse --...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!