Interview: Q&A With Adam Rubin of the Daily News
2. It seems like the Mets are serious about having Jon Niese as the fifth starter to open the season. What is the backup plan for Niese if he initially fails and gets sent down to AAA, much like Pelfrey did in his rookie year?
3. Currently, Pedro Feliciano is the only lefty in the Mets bullpen. We have been hearing all the Derek Lowe and Oliver Perez rumors, but absolutely nothing regarding another left handed reliever. Will the Mets promote from within to fill the need or do they have their sights set on a potential trade target or free agent?
I asked Mets officials during the winter meetings whether they intended to bring in another lefthander once Scott Schoeneweis is dealt, especially considering the division has players such as Ryan Howard and Chase Utley. I bet it’s a consideration, but they seemed to indicate one lefthander would be passable considering they should be able to lock down the eighth and ninth innings with J.J. Putz and Francisco Rodriguez and will be less reliant on matchups. They’re going to have to sign someone at least to sit at Triple-A Buffalo, though. Beyond, say, Mike Antonini, who was a starter at Double-A Binghamton last season, I’d have trouble identifying left-handers in the upper levels of the system. Even Willie Collazo is gone, having signed with the Marlins. I’d have to check on Adam Bostick’s status.
5. You have been covering the Mets for a long time now. You’ve seen well over a couple of dozen different players in left and right field, going all the way back to the days of Tsuyoshi Shinjo and Roger Cedeno. What’s your take on Ryan Church as the everyday right fielder, and the Tatis/Murphy platoon in left for 2009?
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Hotstreak: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: Chris Davis at age 26 wring...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: What the hell are you talking about? Im...
- oleosmirf: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: so let's say the Mets follow your...
- TexasGusCC: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: First base is not a difficult position...
- TexasGusCC: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: Two opinions: 1. Mike Morse just got...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!