F-Mart and Jon Niese: Omar Minaya Is Ready To Promote From Within
If some of you are waiting to see what players the Mets might be targeting at the trade deadline, don’t hold your breath. According to Joel Sherman of the NY Post, Omar Minaya has no master plan to fill the left field or bullpen vacancy via a trade. Instead, Omar feels the Mets can fill any needs by promoting from within.
Sherman gives three great reasons for why Omar may be reluctant to pull off another big trade.
1) The organization is cautiously optimistic Ryan Church will soon return, making a righty-hitting left fielder to replace out-for-the-season Moises Alou the main priority. Minaya has been unable to identify a player significantly better than a Fernando Tatis/Endy Chavez platoon to make it worthwhile to sacrifice prospect chips.
2) The Mets are finding the asking prices for relievers they have interest in, such as Colorado’s Brian Fuentes, to be too steep.
3) To reach the level of contender, the Mets have expended a lot of prospect artillery the past three years, and Minaya recognizes he must protect the farm system and let it rebuild.
"We can’t keep doing four-for-one deals," Minaya said.
Minaya said he expects super-prospects Fernando Martinez and Jon Niese to possibly be ready to contribute in August, and also high praise for Nick Evans and Carlos Muniz who are already on the team.
He sees Evans developing into a .280 hitter with 20 homers and 80 RBI’s annually, and compared Muniz to Chad Cordero.
I don’t know about you guys, but I love the fact that the Mets are thinking this way. I don’t want to see them trade the farm for an over-priced aging left fielder who will be a free agent in a year or two.
Check out the rest of Sherman’s article which is loaded with plenty of quotes from our GM. In Omar we trust!
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Jimmy Pernil: on When Will We See Wilmer Flores?: Go back to the kitchen and cook...
- Jimmy Pernil: on When Will We See Wilmer Flores?: AAA is meaningless. There's nothing to be...
- Jimmy Pernil: on When Will We See Wilmer Flores?: LMAO @ this idiot. Gomez is a...
- Mojo: on Mets Have Opportunity To Soar To New Heights: What doe's it cost us financially and...
- Metstheory22: on Mets Have Opportunity To Soar To New Heights: He pitched well for us once we...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!