Carlos Beltran To Start Batting Second
What a nice bounce-back effort by the Mets last night as they defeated the Phillies 9-4. The game may have been a springboard to some upcoming changes in the Mets lineup starting with a new look in the top of the order.
Last night during our Gameday Live open thread, our topic of discussion was whether or not Carlos Beltran was best suited to be a cleanup hitter. It seems that Jerry Manuel had those same questions running through his mind as well.
After the game last night, Jerry Manuel announced that Carlos Beltran could begin batting in the number two spot of the order, a spot currently occupied by a number of caretakers in Luis Castillo (when healthy), Ryan Church (when not dizzy), and Endy Chavez (when both Church and Castillo are not healthy or dizzy).
It’s a move that is designed to have Beltran see more fast balls and it is widely applauded by this site and many of it’s readers.
We have been clamoring for something to be done regarding the high-priced center fielder who has been underwhelming with a slumping Carlos Delgado hitting behind him for almost two seasons. While some of us have suggested simply batting him third and Wright fourth, batting him second may be an even better solution because it would enable him to make his speed a vital weapon once again.
It would also keep Wright in the third spot, and enable Ryan Church to possibly take over at cleanup, with Moises Alou batting fifth upon his return, and Delgado sixth so as to preserve the lefty-righty balance.
I hope to see Jerry Manuel unveil this new lineup today.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Matt Este: on Mets Hitting Coach Says Davis Needs To Work Out Slump In Majors: Do they need a prime example of...
- Metfan Lou: on Summer Clearance: Possible Trade Strategies For The Mets: Peter, I posted the first comment. I read...
- Djmurphy: on Mets Hitting Coach Says Davis Needs To Work Out Slump In Majors: They should send him to AA to...
- DAP: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: so then you disagree w/ the scout...
- Matt Mosher: on Summer Clearance: Possible Trade Strategies For The Mets: I don't see any tradeable assets on...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!