Something is Brewing in Mets Nation, and it Smells like Pitching
When I first heard that the Mets had traded Lastings Milledge to the Nationals for Brian Schneider and Ryan Church, I screamed. I screamed not because we traded away Milledge, but because we traded away Milledge and didn’t get any pitching out of the deal. That and he went to the Nationals. If this trade is a total bust, Blastings Thrilledge will come back to haunt us for many years to come. At least if he went to Oakland, we would only have to play them once every couple years, no big deal.
Once the trade sunk in and Milledge was really gone (really), the gears in my head started turning. And I realized that I was okay with this trade. The Mets had just gotten better defensively without us losing anything big offensively. And we only lost Milledge; it’s not like Pelfrey, Humber, Gomez, Mulvey, and F-Mart were packaged in one deal and sent to arguably the worst team in the National League. We still need a quality starting pitcher, and we need help in the bullpen (desperately). Our starting lineup is set, our bench is full. Omar has no choice but to focus on pitching.
With the aqusition of Brian Schneider, we now have three catchers: Schneider, Johnny Estrada, and Ramon Castro. Chances are, we’re not going to need three catchers. Which leads to a trade involving pitching. Ever since Johnny Estrada was acquired, there have been trade rumors involving him. I, personally, would not be surprised if Omar packaged him in a deal with some lesser prospects and sent him on his merry way. I hope that having three catchers will allow us to keep Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez out of many trade talks.
The Mets are not going to get Johan Santana. While it would be nice, it’s not going to happen. The Twins’ asking price is so high, that only the Yankees (and maybe the Red Sox) are still talking trade. Dan Haren seems to be the best option. He’s still under contract for a couple of more years so the Mets would not have to negotiate any extensions. If we don’t get Haren, go for Eric Bedard. Maybe we’ll get Chad Bradford back in that deal. Give Omar time; we may be getting more for Milledge than what shows now.
About the Author: Jessica DeMattia
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: And Collins is the "ultimate Patsy" because...
- Christopher: on Mets vs Cubs: Davis Not In Lineup As Gee Looks For A Win In Rubber Match: Lagaras! Big hit. Let's go Mets! Wooooohooooo!
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: Ultimate blame goes on the Bozo's(Wilpons) who...
- Al: on Mets vs Cubs: Davis Not In Lineup As Gee Looks For A Win In Rubber Match: The mets are the Third worst club...
- ill_egl: on Mets vs Cubs: Davis Not In Lineup As Gee Looks For A Win In Rubber Match: These mets are the most boring, low...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!