If The Mets Want To Make A Big Splash… Go Get Santana, Not A-Rod
It seems like the Mets are considering making a big run at free agent third baseman, Alex Rodriguez.
Bob Klapisch of the Record reports that the Mets plan to ask David Wright about switching positions. Wright had volunteered early this year to do just that, if it would mean landing Alex Rodriguez, and now the Mets are going to find out if he still feels the same way.
Here is what David Wright said last March:
"If Omar or someone from the front office approaches me and says, ‘Hey, we’re looking, Alex has an interest in coming to Queens,’ I’d be the first one to offer to play anywhere they want me to because like I said, a guy like that just makes a team completely better from the get-go."
When asked if he had been contacted yet regarding the Mets interest in A-Rod, he texted back the following:
"Nobody has talked to me about any free agents," Wright wrote in a text message. "I would want to speak with Jeff and Omar first."
When one Mets official was asked if the Mets were in a position to pay a guy like A-Rod, he had this to say:
"We can afford him," one Met insider said confidently. "It’s going to be a baseball question more than a money question. Do we want him? Is he a good fit for one team? That’s what we have to talk about."
Besides this report from Bob, there are several other stories circulating among other Mets beat writers who all believe that the Mets’ interest in A-Rod is more than speculation and curiosity.
Most of you already know how I feel about A-Rod coming to the Mets.
I still believe it would be too big of a distraction and a detriment to the team. I understand that the Mets feel a need to make a big splash this off season, but signing A-Rod is not the way to do it. If you really want to make a big splash and at the same time actually do something that improves the team, then go figure out a way to get Johan Santana or Dan Haren.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Padilla: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: If you remember Metsie, they tried that...
- Connor O'Brien: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Not understanding me Vinny. Ther were very...
- Padilla: on Mets Have Opportunity To Soar To New Heights: Ah, take the very very small sample...
- paula: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Mets Need More Time To Get Better...
- The golf pair of running footwear are made to invigorate and christian louboutin sydney consequently whip up the advantages of regarding. louboutin shoes: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready” |...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!